Smiling faces, hearty laughs, and a warmth that exudes the weather abound during traditional Wapishana culture shows. After watching several days of football, volleyball, and cricket, the evening culture shows began. Each village’s culture group performed stories, songs, dances, and dramas in detailed costumes featuring materials gathered in the local forests. It saddens me that I’m not yet able to understand Wapishana, because I know the stories and songs tell rich history and hilarious tales of life in the
Without understanding the words, I can see the faces and hear the laughter and still experience the humor. I love this time because I see a joy and cheerfulness in the Wapishana people that I don’t see any other time. Eyes light up, we all watch the culture groups perform simple dances imitating the local natural world and nature, repeat elaborate narratives and parables, and chant simple songs aided by drums and maracas.
this is unrelated to the note but i definitely dreamed last night that you two were preggo! i was so excited for you too! hahaha. what an odd dream.
ReplyDelete