Rainforest

Rainforest
Millions of acres of pristine forest.

Monday, November 9, 2009

I organized the students of Aishalton Secondary School to participate in a regional poetry competition by Red Cross. The poems had to address stigma and discrimination in some way, against HIV or any other category - race, religion, age, gender, etc... The students really came through and I wanted to share what I received with you. This first one is from a young man in the class I teach. My class is a remedial class, a group of 24 students who failed their first year of secondary school (7th grade) last year, and are repeating this year. I've actually had quite alot of trouble from them, behavioral and academic, they seem to have really given up. This student, Steve, in particular, has been rather difficult, but I personally challenged him to come up with a poem for me. This is what he turned in, and I must say... I'm amazed and very proud.


HIV

HIV is dreadful

It’s very sorrowful

To discriminate me

Makes me lonely

It drives me crazy

But you’re very busy

Discriminating me

Just to let others see

Stigma is very bad

It makes me feel very sad

Stop doing this to me

You might get it, so beware

Then it’d be you and me

Facing all the difficulties

And even the symptoms of HIV

Steve, 13 years old

No comments:

Post a Comment