Aishalton sits in the middle of hundreds of miles of Savannah - dry grasslands perfect for raising cattle. We are about 15 miles (2 hours) from a huge cattle ranch, Dadanawa Ranch, once the largest in the world (currently 8,000+ heads of cattle). Here in the village, we also have plenty cows. The rainy season brings them into the village, supposedly to escape the bugs in the Savannah. So, cows roam, unfenced, where they please. We have a number of issues with the cows - they like to eat the food in our garden, breaking down fences. They bring plenty of flies when they come around. They poop EVERYwhere. And in the rainy season, it doesn't dry up and turn to manure, it just.... stays. Big, wet piles of.... poop.
But, they're here for a reason. Most people here eat beef almost everyday. Today's pictures aren't for the squimish. But, I'm squimish and I managed to take them and look at them. So, Aishalton's slaughter....
It's not often I catch a slaughter, so I thought I'd document.
Bravo to you for doing so!! Too few people know where their food comes from, much less what it takes to get it from walking around the field to sitting on your plate. People need to know these things.
ReplyDeleteProud of you Kristin!