Rainforest

Rainforest
Millions of acres of pristine forest.

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Georgetown

I’ve been out of Aishalton for 6 days. We’ve been here in Georgetown, Guyana’s capital city, and only sizable city. It is the polar opposite of Aishalton. It is on the coast, Aishalton is in the Deep South interior. It is a large city, Aishalton is a small village. It has traffic, trash, and rude people, Aishalton has bull carts, farms, and quiet Amerindians. (I kind of want to go back). Aishalton represented what we have lost in most places in the world… simplicity, contentment, and peace. Replaced by complexity, a desire for stuff, and stress.

In a whirlwind, you’re taken from there and placed in Georgetown with a list of things to do. While running around the city, it is a bit too easy to be nostalgic about Aishalton. But the world goes on and we move towards returning home.

What we’ve accomplished so far this week:

ü Written our Official DOS: A two-page Description of Service – all our project goodness condensed into a two page report.

ü Turned in a big cardboard box full of Peace Corps books, papers, CDs, and stuff they told us we’d use in our two years. (We really didn’t).

ü Bought cream cheese and whole wheat crackers to snack on!

ü Called UPS and FEDEX to find out about shipping our stuff home, only to find out they don’t ship crafts… “What about hammocks?” I asked…. They don’t ship cloth…. “What do you ship?” I asked… They ship paper. Documents. Electronics. TIG.

ü Finished final reporting for our work and my grant for the Learning Resource Centre

ü Caught up on US News…. Holy moly! Glad I didn’t get that federal job….

ü Had a physical to make sure I’m healthy enough to go home and nothing ongoing from being in Peace Corps. Everything looked good.

ü Went to the dentist to have my teeth and gums attacked by two dental agents with pricks, sucking machines, and gooey fluoride stuff. I’m not really a believer in fluoride and after they stuck it in my mouth and told me not to eat or drink for 30 minutes, I ran outside and spit it out. I think I must have grown up with the best dentist in the world. I’m going to him when I get back!

ü Planned our trip to Oregon and California. So happy I’m gonna see the west coast! We’re going to ride a train and eat healthy local food and take public transit (we don’t have licenses!). We’ve lived without a car for two years, we can do it for two more weeks!

ü Eaten pizza, Paninis, burgers, and milkshakes (We’re adjusting for our return to the states!)

ü Stalked the internet for design ideas, homes in Asheville, NC, jobs, music, news and of course, Rebecca Black.

ü Done most of it in the confides of sealed-air-conditioned offices and hotel room. Taken hot showers. My soul might be happy, but my skin is itchy and dry.


Getting ready to leave Georgetown (finally!) to go back to where our training was two years ago… The Essequibo coast to visit volunteers and our host family. Then it’s Peace Corps’ 50th anniversary party net week and heading to the land of customer service and efficiency!

2 comments: