Less than 7 hours from now, Chris and I will depart Roanoke: Philadelphia bound. This is the real beginning of our Peace Corps experience (the application process does NOT count). It has been a long road coming and I am super excited it is finally here. We have packed, sold, stored, and given away most of our things - still not sure what I'm going to do with the clothes still here. We have our super cool Gregory packs to carry on the bag, a rolly suitcase for one hand, a regular backpack to wear on the front, and a purse and camera back for the other hand.
It is amazing that we can carry all that we need to survive, yet we build and buy these huge homes to hold all of our 'stuff', and boy, do we have alot of 'stuff'. Note to self: Work on simple living and cultivating the ability to not 'need' many things.
We will have a day of training tomorrow in Philly before taking a bus to fly out of JFK tomorrow at midnight to arrive in Georgetown, Guyana on Tuesday morning. I can't wait to feel that Equatorial heat! I have been frozen for the last several months. We will meet our host families a few days after we arrive. For two months, we will have training where we learn how to do our jobs, how to fit in the culture, how to speak Creole (!), and how to survive in a rainforest. Oh, and my favorite - how to wash clothes by hand. Likely to be the most challenging part of our whole trip :) We are very much entering the unkown - I don't know what to expect, but that's okay. No, I don't know if we'll have electricity or internet or running water. I don't know if our housing will be wood, brick, or mud, or if our showers will be daily accessible. We'll figure that out along the way, and we'll communicate the mundance and the exciting via this blog and personal emails. We'll send an address as soon as we can, as well as a list of things we'll be needing :) We love you all, and well, we're Guyana miss ya.
No comments:
Post a Comment