Rainforest

Rainforest
Millions of acres of pristine forest.

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Happy Mashramani!

I figured I ought to invite you to join in on a little Guyanese celebration - Mashramani! Our local "4th of July" patriotic holiday. We were in our village, Aishalton, it was February 23rd. The night before Mashramani, we stayed up late, late, late and enjoyed a culture show and a midnight flag raising. I had a group of kids do a Cassava Dance. (Cassava is the local root vegetable/staple food). The next day, the village parade started at 8am (This was a blessing in disguise, who would want to march in the midday heat?). We had a 'party tractor' in the lead carrying the music and speakers, costumes, people decorated tshirts, and we waved Guyanese flags. Chris and I pulled together some red, green, yellow, black and white (Guyana's flag colors). We really really had a fun time celebrating with our village.

This is Chris with Kanaimuu, our puppy.
This is me in my Guyanese colors with Kanaimuu.
This is one of my favorite boys, Kemai. He was decked out, no?
Two of Aishalton's beauties, Sabrina and her cousin, Bowie (short for some complicated Wapishana name). Costumes! Masks and a cow.
A bit late, but Happy Mashramani! And early July 4th!

1 comment: